Our mission at The Little Potato Company is “To Feed the World, Better.”
Because we believe everyone, everywhere deserves to eat good, healthy food. And it all starts with our little Creamer Potatoes – one of the most economical, energy efficient, and highly nutritious food crops available.
In this exciting new role, the Director of Manufacturing will plan, conduct, coordinate, and exercise functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of manufacturing areas by performing the following duties personally or through staff. Apply a broad and/or extensive background towards meeting assignment objectives. Liaise with superiors and peers to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals. Plan and monitor the day-to-day running of manufacturing to ensure smooth progress. Supervise staff from different locations and provide constructive feedback. This role will report to the VP of Operations and Supply Chain and will be based in either our Edmonton, AB office or our DeForest, WI office.
We are a dynamic team that embraces diversity and unique differences, holding every employee in the highest regard, while fostering an award-winning workplace where health, safety and fun combine to create an environment where everyone feels like family.
Come join our rapidly expanding company and help us transform the entire potato industry – one little creamer at a time!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, inspire and motivate staff to implement and execute a positive Company safety culture.
- Direct and execute an operations plan that meets the strategic goals of the organization. In particular, plan for operational growth including human resource needs, facilities expansion, and overall operational capacity that will include expansion into both Canada and the USA.
- Direct and coordinate design and development activities pertaining to assigned programs, so as to achieve optimum design and best compromise in cost, performance, quality and appearance.
- Apply extensive background in particular areas of manufacturing to resolve primary or fundamental problems or manufacturing concepts.
- Prepare reports and present and discuss recommended alternative selections and course of action.
- Represent manufacturing in project teams, launch teams with other groups concerning problem or issues within a particular area of expertise.
- Plan and formulate manufacturing systems and organize staff according to production requirements.
- Plan, organize, direct, manage, and evaluate the manufacturing activities and budget of LPC’s manufacturing
- Develop and manage the manufacturing policies, procedures, standards, and strategies in order to ensure process transparency, fairness, impartiality, and confidentiality.
- Comply with and maintain knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, legality, standards, and best practices.
- Confer with management and staff coordinating manufacturing activities.
- Develop and measure key performance indicators to determine and improve the effectiveness of the manufacturing function.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of reports and statistics related to the manufacturing function for senior management.
- Participate in capital projects and company projects making recommendations based on quality, capabilities and feasibility to the business.
- Interview, select, coach, train, manage, and appraise the performance of associated personnel in all locations and mentor select staff, providing constructive feedback.
- Design and implement team building exercises.
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate information to all internal and external stakeholders using the appropriate communication method.
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements.
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability.
- Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analyzing and interpreting data and metrics, preferably using 6 Sigma and Lean techniques.
- Be an integral part of implementing and improving Company IT systems related to operational processes.
- Review and modify existing equipment and production methods to reduce manufacturing costs and to improve operating efficiency.
- Ensure long-range planning and review of packaging operations to ensure that production meets the strategic goals and objectives of the business.
- 10+ years experience in a Manufacturing role with proven leadership responsibilities.
- Experience in food would be an asset.
- BSc/BA in Business Administration, Manufacturing or relevant field; MSc/MA will be an asset.
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. manufacturing, fresh produce, 6 Sigma and Lean) and Six Sigma Black Belt is a preference.
- Excellent manufacturing skills coupled with expertise in successfully managing major facilities.
- Proven track record in leading, developing and implementing manufacturing activities.
- Outstanding leadership, people and organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Function in a time sensitive environment.
- Some travel expected 25 to 50% of time (i.e. Equipment reviews &/or other LPC locations).
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM).
Knowledge A Director of Manufacturing should have knowledge of supply chain, applicable laws and regulations, the English language, other languages as required, administration and management, production and processing, mathematics, personnel and human resources, economics and accounting, relevant tools and technology, customer and personal service, and education and training.
Skills A Director of Manufacturing should have the following skill sets: leadership, supervisory, active listening and learning, critical thinking, analytical thinking, judgment and decision making, reading comprehension, management of material resources, project management, mathematics, time management, presentation, and operations analysis.
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER
If you’re an innovative Leader looking to transform an industry, we want to hear from you. Please submit your information to us at email@example.com
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.