If you and your kids’ summer fun agenda includes lots of swimming, paddling, playing, biking, beach volleyball, soccer, tennis and the like, you’ll need plenty of good fuel to keep your bodies going. Creamers are just that. You don’t want to run out of energy in the middle of the lake!
Don’t reach for the chips. Here are five reasons why Little Potatoes are your summertime super food of choice:
- Good carbs – Creamers contain complex carbohydrates (20 g each). Complex carbs are harder for the body to breakdown, which means their energy is released more slowly than simple sugars or refined carbs. Because of this, they help keep blood sugar levels stable so you don’t get that shaky, “out of gas” feeling or midday energy slump, Their slow release also makes us feel fuller longer, staving off cravings and helping us maintain a healthy weight.Complex carbs also help lower our risk for chronic disease and might even prevent colon cancer, according to Harvard School of Public Health.-1 Not surprisingly, the National Academies Institute of Medicine recommends adults get 45 to 65 percent of their daily calories from complex carbohydrates. On the flip side, highly processed, refined carbohydrates (as in white bread), often filled with fat and sugar, increase our risk of heart disease, obesity and diabetes.-2
- Nutritious – Though they’re small, Creamers are big on nutrients: potassium (19 percent of the daily recommended amount), fiber (12 percent), iron (eight percent) and vitamin C (six percent). And, the Creamer skin is as good for you as the inside. Because they’re nutrient-dense—with minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals—doctors say potatoes are a good source of numerous health benefits as well as warding off disease.
- Fiber-full –Creamers are a good source of dietary fiber, which we know is good for us. Fiber is not only terrific for our digestive tract, it helps with weight control, plus lowers our risk of diabetes and heart disease.-3
- Low-cal – It might be hard to believe since they taste so buttery and creamy, but Little Potatoes are low-calorie: just 20 calories each. One Creamer equals one SmartPoint—a whole serving of about six is three SmartPoints. And because they taste great on their own, you really don’t need to add much in the way of toppings or dressings. (Try these tasty weight-watching recipes if you are trying to shed extra pounds this summer.)
- Gluten-free/low-sodium – Creamers don’t contain gluten. They are also low-sodium and naturally free of sugar. Because people following a restrictive gluten-free diet may not get enough of the nutrients they need, Little Potatoes can help offset that. Try these terrific no-gluten dishes: Smashed Potato Shepherd’s Pie, Chicken Fajita Sheet Pan Dinner and Spanish Tortilla.
Be healthy and enjoy the summer!
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE SUMMERTIME DISH STARRING LITTLE POTATOES? SHARE IT!
To get more tips on nutritious eating, plus find new delicious and healthy recipes, sign up for our monthly newsletter. And join the social media conversation! If you have questions, comments or quips, don’t hesitate to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you like what you read?